On Tuesday the 30th of June, Kerry and I renewed our vows on our 25th Wedding Anniversary. It was a surprise for Kerry that evening. With the amazing help from our kids, Samantha-Baylee-Ryne, over 50 close firends and family were there to share in our time to rededicate and celebrsate the past 25 years as we prepared for the many years to come.
I am going to share those vows we spoke to one another. This is not to brag but to encourage other couples to constantly focus on the blessing of your marriage. God ordained you as Husband and Wife, you must daily seek ways to thank Him for that blessing.
Joe’s Vows to Kerry
I still remember the first time I laid eyes on you that fall day in 1987. Standing next to something also near and dear to my heart…the Hot Dog vendor by the Duck Pond at UNM. You took my breath away at that moment….it just took you another 4 months till you felt slightly close the same way.
The past 25 years have been truly a humbling experience for me. You came along and joined me in this adventure. You never considered the “D” word, you never sought to purposely attack me as a father or husband. You joined me hand in hand and became the living model of Genesis 2:18-You always are there to assist and complete me as you reflect Christ in everything you do!
So I would like to speak these commitments to you for our next 25 years and beyond:
1. I commit to seeking Christ first in my life and obeying what He reveals to me.
2. I commit to praying for you daily, every morning, before my feet hit the floor.
3. I commit to Holiness in our marriage, not happiness.
4. I commit to displaying Christ to not only you but to our children, and grandchildren daily.
5. I commit to making sure you have a hot towel each time you get out of the shower.
6. I commit to only having eyes for you!
7. I commit to pray for you as a teacher, and educator, as an awakener towards your students.
8. I commit to never ceasing to display chivalry towards you.
9. I commit to always infusing Intimacy into our marriage: Spiritual, Emotional, and Physical Intimacy.
10. I commit to always getting “puffy eyes” when you are around me!
11. I commit to Hobby Lobby runs with you at your becking call.
12. I commit to the 6 questions. Not just asking but listening and growing!
13. I commit to date nights as much as possible!
14. I commit to being the best Papa Joe alongside my Lovey.
15. I commit to practice turning the bathroom door in a very quiet manner in the morning.
16. I commit to continue to smile and make eye contact with you everytime you enter a room!
17. I commit to out-serving you
18. I commit to being the best forgiver in our marriage: both asking and seeking.
19. I commit to always seeing you as the princess you are: God’s precious daughter!
20. I commit to daily Redeeming the White Space in our marriage from this day forward
Kerry, I am honored, humbled and so over the top excited to call you my wife but most of all, calling you my best friend. You daily display to our daughters what it looks like to be a woman of God, and Imitator of Christ. You daily display grace and forgiveness, not only to me, but to those you encounter. We have entered a new calling in our lives as we do ministry together. I am at awe as you counsel and encourage spouses, wives and moms. You truly give Biblical counsel and always point to His amazing love in every encounter.
Kerry, I want you to know today, that I commit to Him, to us, and to our family. You are My Dove and always remember this…I loved you first and always will love you through His love and holiness!
Kerry’s Vows to Joe
I still remember that night when I called you to say I was finally ready…All God…to go out on a date. Thank you for waiting.
I still remember the dog we picked up on a rainy night, the red car we picked out together and the nights we hunted down the “mega event” lights in the sky.
I remember our wedding day and honeymoon at the cabin. The rainy walk we took.
I remember our first mountain loft home we built with family and the centipedes we constantly vacuumed up.
I remember sharing our car one car and how you would drop me off at the school at 6:30am when I worked at the YMCA.
I remember how you supported me through school, graduation, and then the endless hours I still dedicate to school.
I remember getting pregnant the second time and the look on your face when you said, “Again? So Soon?”
I remember how excited you were when we found out we were pregnant and how I did not change a diaper for the first 2 weeks of Samantha’s life and how it was a rainy day and you tried to make baby food. That lasted a day.
I remember the tough times thru the business and the incredible times traveling with Special Olympics.
I remember standing before our current church family and the process it took to be voted in. What a blessing that turned out to be!!
I remember the first wedding you officiated and the transparency that was created.
I remember how you would cry each time you thought about giving away your oldest daughter and I smile about how you are going to cry when you hold your grandbaby girl.
I remember the first time I sat across from you and listened to how you gave such Godly counsel to a hurting couple. I was so proud of you.
I remember so much about our last 25+ years together. But the one thing I don’t need to remember is how you use to love me because you show me everyday by your words and actions that you still love me unconditionally. Every part of me knows you will lead us by His Word.
I know you will love me even when I frustrate you.
I know you still find me hot.
I know you will make me proud.
I know you will be in His Word.
I know you choose me daily.
I am so blessed to be your wife and I know that the next 25 years standing by your side is fgoing to bring laughter, tears, and many blessings.
I am my Beloved’s and my Beloved is Mine!